Compare and contrast cat. 6 unshielded twisted pair (UTP), coaxial, and single mode fiber optic cabling types. Describe one or two of the advantages and/or disadvantages associated with using each cable type for a business’s network infrastructure. Consider the (a) cost per foot or meter; (b) termination/installation cost; (c) bandwidth; (d) cable length/transmission distance; (e) end point devices (i.e., workstation, wireless access point, switch, router, server, SAN, etc.); (f) use – in-building horizontal or vertical; and (g) conversion or interface equipment. Be sure to support your information with the appropriate citation(s).
The paper must use APA 6th ed., 7th printing formatting and contain a title page, 3 to 5 pages of content, and a minimum of three peer-reviewed references. Use the link about to submit your paper.
Your assignment will be graded based on the rubric, which can be viewed when clicking on the assignment link.
- Horizontal Cabling Costs: Fiber vs. Copper Calculations – All-fiber networks often provide both short- and long-term cost benefits.
- The Difference between Fiber Optic Cable, Twisted Pair and Coaxial Cable
- Eight Advantages of Choosing Fiber Over Copper Cable – Choosing fiber optic cable over copper cable is often advantageous.
- Comparative Study between Fiber Optic and Copper in Communication – Here is a performance comparison between fiber optics and cable wire in communication.
- Chapter 4 – Transmission Media – Transmission media is discussed in Chapter 4.