Part I: Choose TWO of the following questions and answer them together in a new single thread in this forum (each separate answer should be at least 100+ word; 300+ words total). Remember to use sound grammar and artwork titles should be set in italics. Please do not simply reword the text in your answers. Research beyond your textbook to provide more scope when formulating your answers. Provide citations for sources beyond the textbook at the end of the post.
1. What are the unique characteristics of oil paint? Discuss the different ways that Joan Mitchell’s Untitled and Jan van Eyk’s Madonna and Child with the Chancellor Rolin utilize the versatility of oil paint.
2. Describe the characteristics of watercolor and acrylic paint. Compare and contrast these painting mediums. Cite examples of artworks (not from the textbook) created with these two mediums. Include the artist’s name, artwork title, size, date, and medium.
3. How did the development of the lithography and screen-printing processes change society and the accessibility of artwork?
4. Describe difference between relief and intaglio printmaking. Choose one type of intaglio technique to discuss in detail and provide a couple specific examples (not from the textbook).
5. Why is fresco an ideal medium for large murals? Cite examples of several artists that are known for painting murals. Discuss specific examples and how the large scale of their work impacts content and interaction with the viewer.
6. Drawing did not come naturally to Vincent van Gogh; he struggled in developing his own technique. Research examples of his drawings and then discuss the evolution of his technique. What did he say in correspondence (letters) about his drawing progress?
7. Explain why photographers did not usually use color photography before the 1970s.
Part II: Of the three main types of art criticism, which do you personally think is the best approach? Define the theory in your own words and then critique a work of art in this method.