Imagine that you work as a project manager for a company that buys and sells used textbooks. The main sales channel is a Web application. A few customers have requested the creation of a mobile application with the ability to scan barcodes. The CEO wants you to prepare a formal business case before a decision is made on whether or not to build the mobile application.
For this activity, you are free to draw assumptions on the company structure, costs, goals, and key performance indicators (KPIs). However, you must clearly document each if assumed.
Write a two to three (2-3) page business case in which you:
- Examine measurable organizational value (MOV). Identify areas of impact, the desired values, and a time frame for achievement.
- Suggest at least two (2) alternatives to developing a mobile application. Justify the consideration of such alternatives.
- Analyze the feasibility of developing the mobile application and your suggested alternatives.
- Define the cost of ownership of the mobile application.
- Define the benefits of ownership of the mobile application.
- Predict the return on investment (ROI) of the mobile application and your suggested alternatives.
- Identify risks associated with developing the mobile application.
- Propose a final recommendation of whether or not the organization should develop the mobile application or one of your alternatives.
- Use at least one (1) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Initiate, specify, and prioritize information technology projects, and determine various aspects of feasibility of these projects.
- Explain and apply the phases of the project management life cycle.
- Identify project risk, and the techniques for ensuring project risk is managed and controlled in a technology setting.
- Develop a complete information systems project plan using project management software tools.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in information systems and technology.
- Write clearly and concisely about Information Technology Project Management topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.