Interview a high school administrator and an elementary administrator. During the interviews, discuss the following topics:
- What are discipline issues that often arise with special needs students?
- What challenges, if any, do administrators and teachers face in regard to special needs students?
- How do disciplinary decisions and actions vary between special need students and regular education students?
- Do special needs students understand that disciplinary decisions and actions may vary between themselves and regular education students?
- Do parents of special needs students understand that disciplinary decisions and actions may vary between their children and regular education students?
- How do parents of special education and regular education students react to the differences?
- What role does the district play with regard to decision-making? Who provides directions and training to the administrators and teachers to ensure they are following IDEA regulations about discipline?
After the interviews have been conducted, write an essay of 1,000-1,250-words summarizing the information learned. Be sure to use information from both interviews. Address the similarities and differences in how the high school administrator and the elementary administrator approach these issues. In addition, cite court cases that appear to have influenced the school district’s decisions.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.