Why Read Literature?
Prepare: Prior to writing your initial post, read Chapters 1 through 3 of Journey into Literature.
Reflect: Chapter 1 of our text provides a number of reasons why people choose to explore literature. Clugston (2014) writes that there is “a powerful curiosity about human relationships and how to cope in the world in which we find ourselves” (Section 1.1, para. 2). The text gives a number of general motivations for reading, but it is helpful to put those motivations into context. Consider what your motivations are for reading.
Write: Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length, not including references. In your post, answer the following questions:
- What does literature offer an individual?
- How has the importance of reading changed from earlier eras (pre-digital/audio/visual media) to our present day? Do you think we read differently now than we did in prior generations?
- Do you think Clugston’s quote is valid? How have perceptions regarding the value of literature changed, if at all?
- What causes people’s perceptions regarding the value of literature to change?
- Incorporate readings found in Chapters 1 through 3 to help illustrate the points you make.
- MAKE sure to refer to the TEXT.
- Chapter 1: Beginning Our Literary Journey
- Chapter 2: Responding to Literary Experiences
- Chapter 3: Introduction to the Short Story
If you have any questions in regards to this DQ please feel free to contact me. Thank you.