Assignment 1: LASA 2 Recommending a Database Solution
In this assignment, you will prepare a report recommending a database solution for storing customers’ information and order history that aligns with organizational needs and goals.
Your current employer has been using Microsoft Excel to keep track of customers and their orders. Currently, your organization has outgrown the capabilities of Microsoft Excel as it is no longer able to support the number of customers and order history.
For this project, you will need to recommend a solution that aligns with current business goals and provides an affordable alternative to using Microsoft Excel. Your company has access to the complete Microsoft Office productivity suite, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
Prepare a 6- to 8-page report providing your recommendations on a suitable alternative for storing customer information and order history. Management has suggested the possibility of using Microsoft Access to store customers’ information and order history. Your report should address the following items:
- Compare and contrast the capabilities of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.
- Propose a potential database design should Microsoft Access be selected.
- Describe how Microsoft Access fits within the current organization’s needs and goals.
- Provide examples of other emerging database technologies that the company should explore as its database continues to grow.
- Discuss how this transition can be made to minimize downtime.
- By Monday, September 14, 2015, prepare a 6- to 8-page report. Write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources (i.e., use APA format); and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Save your report in a Microsoft Word document with the name M5_A1_LastName_FirstIinitial.doc, and upload it to the M5 Assignment 1 LASA 2 Dropbox.
LASA 2 Grading Criteria and Rubric
All LASAs in this course will be graded using a rubric. This assignment is worth 300 points. Download the rubric and carefully read it to understand the expectations.
|Assignment 1 Grading Criteria||
|Compared and contrasted the capabilities of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.||
|Proposed a potential database design of why should Microsoft Access be selected.||
|Described how Microsoft Access fits within the current organization’s needs and goals.||
|Provided examples of and described other emerging database technologies that the company should explore as its database continues to grow.||