Determining the Proper Job Classification
Assume you are an HR Consultant that has been hired to help Comfort Assisted Living with a recent grievance that was filed by one of its employees. You will not be working on the legal aspects of the case, but you will help the company determine if the employee’s job classification is correct. Comfort Assisted Living has an HR Department but would like to obtain an outside opinion.
The employee, Gregory Williams, is currently working as a Senior HR Specialist for Comfort Assisted Living. His current job duties are provided in the Supplemental Information document posted in our classroom. Mr. Williams has been in the position for 5 years and had consistently received “outstanding” ratings on his performance evaluations until this year when he received a “meets expectations” rating. A month ago, he saw a job announcement that Comfort Assisted Living placed on Monster.com for a Deputy VP of HR. Mr. Williams was angered by the job announcement because he felt he was already performing the duties stated in the announcement. When he asked his supervisor about the job, he was told that the Deputy position was a new one that was being created and that he would have to apply for the job just like everyone else. Mr. Williams disagreed and felt his current position should be reclassified to that of a Deputy VP of HR. He has filed a grievance with Comfort Assisted Living and you have been hired to determine if Mr. William’s current job is equivalent to the new Deputy position. You have been told upfront that it has been years since the company conducted a job analysis for its HR positions so you might have to begin there before making your determination. Also, you have heard from employees that work with Mr. Williams that he has been slacking on the job lately. According to them, he routinely comes in late, takes extra long lunches, and does not submit all of his work on time. At least one of his coworkers said Mr. Williams was having health issues and that he might have to undergo chemotherapy. Another coworker said the health issues weren’t with Mr. Williams, they were with his young daughter, who has a mysterious illness that doctors are having difficulty diagnosing. You’ve checked his leave records and nothing is on file regarding an FMLA request and there is no documentation regarding possible medical issues.
In completing this assignment, you will showcase that you can conduct a job analysis and use the results to develop a job description, which will help address organizational needs/concerns. You will also demonstrate that you have an understanding of the ethical issues involved with job analyses, job evaluation, and job design. Additionally, you will show that you understand the HR context and have mastery of the fundamental student competencies identified by UMUC’s Graduate School including: communication and critical thinking.
Steps to Completion??
1. Review the information in the Supplemental Information file and relevant course material regarding the nature of a job analysis and its relationship to job descriptions and job classifications.
2. Determine what additional information you will need in order to determine if Mr. Williams is justified in his claim.
3. Decide which of the four most commonly used methods of job analysis (observation, interviews, questionnaires, functional) you will use and be prepared to defend your choice.
4. Determine how you will overcome some of the most common problems in performing a job analysis. Our course material discusses several of them.
5. Review and understand the key ethical considerations when conducting a job analysis and designing a job description.
6. Conduct an internet search to find job typical job descriptions for Senior HR Specialists. Compare and contrast the components in those descriptions with the information given regarding Mr. Williams’s current job duties.
* O*Net – http://www.onetonline.org
* UMUC’s Online Library Databases
* Course material
* YouTube videos on job analysis such as, but not limited to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMThqle0mqY
There are two (2) separate deliverables for this assignment.
1. Prepare a 5-7-page description of how you will conduct the job analysis and include a projected timeline for completion, including all of the interim steps. Assume this report will be given to the Legal Department of Comfort Assisted Living and will be a key piece of evidence if Mr. Williams’s grievance goes to court. With that in mind, your document must include sufficient support for your plan, and include a discussion of the ethical issues that might exist in this case and how you would overcome them. Your write-up must include appropriate references and citations. The final document must be formatted according to APA guidelines.
2. Given the information you have in the supplemental document and from the additional resources you found, develop a possible job description for Mr. Williams. You will have to make some assumptions regarding the nature of his work. That is fine, just be sure to highlight and explain where any major gaps exist.
***Supplemental Information for Week 6 Job Analysis and Design??
Deputy VP, HR – Job Announcement
The Deputy VP of HR is responsible for participating in the development of the Company and Human Resources objectives, philosophy, and strategic planning in relation to programs and trends in Human Resources management. Administers Human Resources policies and procedures as they pertain to all employees within the company. Provides direction to Human Resources administrative staff in regard to Human Resources policies, EEO, wage and salary management, benefits, and training. Provides leadership and direction for diverse and complex functions. Contributes to the development of the organization’s business strategy. Interprets business strategy and develops organizational objectives to align with this strategy. Typically manages multiple teams of professionals.
- Oversees the development, implementation, and coordination of policies and procedures for the Human Resources department to establish and maintain an effective department through managing, advising, and motivating department employees.
- Counsels management and employees on disciplinary actions and performance problems.
- Oversees government, legal, and regulatory requirements and/or complaints in various areas.
- Partners with business leaders to achieve organization and business alignment.
- Partners with senior management to develop strategic HR goals, policies, and programs that align with business initiatives.
- Leads department personnel, including direct supervision, hiring, training, and performance management.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Develops Human Resources strategies for business groups that includes workforce planning, pay-for-performance, talent management, talent acquisition, and succession.
- Generally requires 12+ years related experience supporting all levels of employees-with heavy concentration on front-line/field employees highly preferred.
- Strong ER & employee engagement experience highly preferred.
Mr. Williams’s current Senior HR Specialist Job Duties
? Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts and helping resolve work-related problems.
? Analyze and modify compensation and benefits policies to establish competitive programs and ensure compliance with legal requirements.
? Advise managers on organizational policy matters such as equal employment opportunity and sexual harassment, and recommend needed changes.
? Perform difficult staffing duties, including dealing with understaffing, refereeing disputes, firing employees, and administering disciplinary procedures.
? Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives.
? Identify staff vacancies and recruit, interview and select applicants.
? Plan, direct, supervise, and coordinate work activities of subordinates and staff relating to employment, compensation, labor relations, and employee relations.
? Plan, organize, direct, control or coordinate the personnel, training, or labor relations activities of an organization.
? Represent organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations.
? Administer compensation, benefits and performance management systems, and safety and recreation programs.
Current Key Organizational Structure for Comfort Assisted Living
Proposed New Structure for the HR Department of Comfort Assisted Living