As the school nurse working in a college health clinic, you see many opportunities to promote health. Maria is a 40-year-old Hispanic woman who is in her second year of nursing school. She complains of a 14-pound weight gain since starting school and is afraid of what this will do to both her appearance and health if the trend continues. After doing her history, you learn that she is an excellent cook and she and her family love to eat foods that reflect their Hispanic heritage. She is married with two school-age children. She is in class a total of 15 hours per week, plus 12 hours of labs and clinical. She maintains the household essentially by herself and does all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, and chauffeuring of the children. She states that she is lucky to get six hours of sleep per night, but that is okay with her. She lives one hour from campus and commutes each day. Using Healthy People 2020 and your text as a guide:
1.What additional information would you like to gather from Maria?
2.What are Maria’s real and potential health risks?
3.Why is Maria’s culture important when obtaining the health assessment?
4.Pick one of Maria’s health risks. Would you classify Maria’s problem as first-level priority, second-level priority, third-level priority, or a collaborative problem? What would be one reasonable short-term goal for this risk?
As you develop your post for this thread, consider what your definition of health is. Does it contain all aspects of person, health, environment, and nursing? Be sure to begin by reviewing the online lesson for this week. Also, visit the Health People 2020 Website; the link is located within the body of the discussion thread above. When constructing your post, be mindful of the following considerations:
1. What holistic measures can be addressed to support Maria’s health?
2. Are there any cultural influences that will impact Maria’s success? If so, how can she overcome them?
3. Utilize Professional resources in your post using APA 6th Edition style
4. Construct your post in word; use the spelling and grammar check functions; then copy and paste into the response box. This allows you to have error free postings, but also will allow you to save your work in the event of a technological issue with the course.
5. If you have questions, be sure to ask.