Deliverable Length: 400–600 words
There is an endless list of common stereotypes found in U.S. culture. The following are just a few:
- Blond people are not smart.
- Caucasian men do not dance well.
- Overweight people are lazy.
- Women are emotional, and men are not.
- Men are better at math than women.
- Nursing is a job for women.
- Male firefighters are better than female firefighters.
- People in the IT field are antisocial.
It is important to recognize the existence of a stereotype. The more you learn that certain behaviors and actions cannot be generalized to an entire group of people, the more likely you will be to treat others as individuals.
For this assignment, consider your desired career, and think about some stereotypes associated with it. Incorporate at least 2 resources to show you have conducted research on your selected stereotype, and use those resources to help you add to and back up your statements. Support or refute those stereotypes. Respond to the following questions:
- Describe the stereotypes associated with your desired career. Be specific, and explain why you think those stereotypes exist.
- Do you know anyone who fits the stereotype? Do you know someone who does not fit the stereotype?
- Using outside resources, either support or refute the stereotypes that are associated with your career choice.
- Discuss how someone might stereotype you and how you can overcome this.
Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
If you are a MALE, describe how the female role in American society has changed since the 1950s. If you are a FEMALE, describe how the male role has changed since the 1950s. Be sure to discuss gender expectations today. How do you think gender roles will change in the future?
In this Discussion Board, you must incorporate scholarly resources to add to and back up your statements. Share the research you have found that discusses changes in the following:
- The male and female roles in the family and how they have changed from the 1950s through today
- Changes in the male and female legal or political rights from the 1950s through today
- Male and female changes in the workforce (such as statistics of how many men or women work full-time from the 1950s through today)
- Household or child care responsibilities with what percentage of men and women take care of the children and domestic responsibilities and how this has changed from the 1950s through today
- Changes in educational level attainment for males and females and how this has changed from the 1950s through today.